What are the penalties for second DUI? How long will be the suspension of my driver's license?

Asked over 3 years ago - Bolingbrook, IL

My first DUI was 2 years ago and I refused the breath test but I told them I had a drink. No one got hurt, I just got pulled over cause of switching lanes.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Eric T. Perry

    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . A second DUI finding of guilt will result in the revocation of your drivers license as well as 5 days to a possible year in jail and $2,500 fine plus court costs. You are also subject to a 3 year summary suspension of your license. Find yourself an experienced lawyer that practices in your county as there are much more serious consequences now then for your first DUI.

    Good Luck!
    Eric T. Perry

  2. Alan James Brinkmeier

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . You can lose your license, pay a couple thousand in fines, a serve jail for a week up to a year depending on severity.

    Hire a laywer TODAY.

    Any attorney would need more information to determine your rights. You might find my Legal Guide helpful "What Do I Tell My Lawyer"?


    No one can know what the record is in the case because online we cannot find out any details. Check with a lawyer in your locale to discuss more of the details.

    Good luck to you.

    God bless. Best of luck to you.

    If you found this answer helpful, let me know by clicking the Thumbs-Up tab at the bottom. You may mark this as a Best Answer for the time I spent crafting this and thinking about your matter.

  3. Ted Harvatin


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I assume you mean that you refused the test this time? Then you have a 3 year suspension and you cannot drive at all for any reason during that 3 years. In addition to a suspension, if you are convicted of the DUI, your license will be revoked for 1 year if this is your first conviction and 5 years if it is your second. Up to 364 days in jail and or a fine of up to $2500.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,151 answers this week

3,075 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,151 answers this week

3,075 attorneys answering