What are the penalties for a person who uses a fake social security number without knowing is fake?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Milwaukee, WI

a person who uses a social security number thinking is their own.
any illegal individual who was brough to this country when they were little, and when they are old enough and decide to work, they ask their parents for their social security number, but because the child doesnt have one, the parents give the kid a fake social security card with numbers that are invented... the kid startts working with a fake social security number, but he doesnt know its fake, instead he thinks its his own, what penalties would the kid face?

1. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

4

Answered . Just stop using that fake SSN # and you shouldn't face any penalties. Should you continue using it, however, you could be placed in deportation proceedings and your story could be hard to swallow..

2. Lisa Kaye Deselms Dent

2

Answered . I agree with the other answers. Now that the issues is known, do not continue with the same SSN. Additionally, you do not indicate your current immigration status. If you are legally eligible for residence/ employment in the U.S. and have been since you began working, you can probably request a new SSN from your local Social Security office and also request that your earnings record be corrected to show the change. However, you will want to consult with an immigration attorney first if there are any questions about your legal status. It is worth a small investment to make certain that you are doing everything "by the book."

3. Yolanda Navarrete

Pro

1

Answered . I agree with Mr. Behar.