Skip to main content

What are the penalties for a person who uses a fake social security number without knowing is fake?

Milwaukee, WI |

a person who uses a social security number thinking is their own.
any illegal individual who was brough to this country when they were little, and when they are old enough and decide to work, they ask their parents for their social security number, but because the child doesnt have one, the parents give the kid a fake social security card with numbers that are invented... the kid startts working with a fake social security number, but he doesnt know its fake, instead he thinks its his own, what penalties would the kid face?

Attorney Answers 3


Just stop using that fake SSN # and you shouldn't face any penalties. Should you continue using it, however, you could be placed in deportation proceedings and your story could be hard to swallow..

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree


I agree with Mr. Behar.

Please be advised my answers to questions does not constitute legal advise and you should not rely on it, due to the fact that we have never met, I have not been aprised of the facts in you case nor have I reviewed any documents.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


I agree with the other answers. Now that the issues is known, do not continue with the same SSN. Additionally, you do not indicate your current immigration status. If you are legally eligible for residence/ employment in the U.S. and have been since you began working, you can probably request a new SSN from your local Social Security office and also request that your earnings record be corrected to show the change. However, you will want to consult with an immigration attorney first if there are any questions about your legal status. It is worth a small investment to make certain that you are doing everything "by the book."

This response is based on the limited facts presented and is not intended to substitute for direct legal advice, nor is it intended to establish an attorney-client relationship. It is intended to direct you to issues which you may desire to explore further.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree

Social security topics

Recommended articles about Social security

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics