What are the penalities for stealing a license tag in mississippi. I also recived a ticket for driving under suspension

Asked over 1 year ago - Flowood, MS

I bought the car for my ex about 3 years ago. She never got tags on the car until six months ago while I was in SC trying to clear my suspension up. I broke up with her about 2 months ago and I got pull over this past Friday with the stolen tags. The officer gave me a ticket for suspended license. He did not give me a ticket for the stolen tags but a court date. They book me and let me go on my own.

1. Kevin Thomas Stewart

Pro

4

Answered . Improper Tag - Mississippi Code Annotated 27-19-131

(2) Any owner, operator, dealer, agent or any other person who shall operate or cause to be operated upon the highways of this state, without having paid the privilege license tax or fee required by the provisions of this article and who knowingly and intentionally (a) displays an out-of-state license tag on the motor vehicle; or (b) displays a license tag or decal on the motor vehicle which was issued for another vehicle, shall upon conviction be fined not more than One Thousand Dollars ($1,000.00), or be imprisoned in the county jail for not more than one (1) year, or both. For the purposes of this subsection (2) a prima facie case of a knowing and intentional violation of this subsection shall be established upon evidence that such person is more than ninety (90) days delinquent in paying the privilege license tax and fees for such vehicle as required under this article.

Therefore you are facing a maximum of $1000.00 fine and 1 year in jail.

Driving While Suspended or Revoked - Mississippi Coe Annotated 63-1-57

Any person whose license issued pursuant to this article or driving privilege as a nonresident has been canceled, suspended or revoked as provided in this title or in Section 93-11-157 or 93-11-163, as the case may be, and who drives any motor vehicle upon the highways of this state while such license or privilege is canceled, suspended or revoked, is guilty of a misdemeanor and upon conviction shall be punished by imprisonment for not less than two (2) days or more than six (6) months. There may be imposed in addition thereto a fine of not less than Two Hundred Dollars ($200.00) nor more than Five Hundred Dollars ($500.00) for each offense.

Therefore you face a maximum of 500.00 fine and 6 months in jail.

2. M. Todd Miller

2

Answered . I encourage you to call the MS Bar Association for an attorney referral.

3. David B Pittman

Pro

1

Answered . This is complicated. You should consult a local attorney of proper advice. Good luck!