What are the parents' options when parents wish to treat a child with leukemia naturally?

Point Pleasant Beach, NJ |

Childhood leukemia has a high cure rate, but at the mercy of chemo and it's side effects. If our child has it, we would want to do natural therapies instead. What are our rights? We are educated parents, and are mentally able to understand what is happening. We would welcome a free consult about this. How does it work if a parent refuses to do chemo? Especially, initially?

I am sorry that your child is going through this, each state has its own laws on this, be very careful and consult with a good local attorney because if your remedy is not normally used or medically proven you could face some issues. take care and I hope that it all works out.

Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Massachusetts. Responses are based solely on Massachusetts law unless stated otherwise.

I agree with Mr. Lewis. This is such a specialized area. Look for support groups in your area. They usually have the legwork done for you. I wish you and your child the best.

Please be advised my answers to questions does not constitute legal advise and you should not rely on it, due to the fact that we have never met, I have not been aprised of the facts in you case nor have I reviewed any documents.

This is a very difficult question and I doubt there is one simple answer. In New Jersey, a parent has a right to refuse vaccinations for their children on religious grounds. However, if there is an issue that the child's danger could be at risk, then it is possible that there could be an issue. These would likely be issues addressed by a medical expert.

DISCLAIMER: This communication does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not legal advice unless you have entered into a fee agreement with the Law Office of Anthony J. Van Zwaren, P.C. and have paid the required fees. The information contained in this email may be privileged. Dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail or the information contained within it by anyone other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this message and any attachments from your system and notify us.

Child custody topics