What are the options for an F2 visa holder to get work permit?

Asked over 1 year ago - Philadelphia, PA

To switch to H1B status, one needs to find such an employer who will file a petition for non-immigrant employee.
My question is, is there any way an F2 may apply for status change on his/her own before finding an employer in the first hand? Say, even if the F2 is willing to pay whatever the fees associated with this change.
Or is there any other alternative way to get a work permit? Obviously, he/she has no intent to become "legal" citizen in near future.
By the way, I came to know that F2 visa holder may engage in studies. Is it ok to get enroll in any online university? These Universities (e.g. Phoenix) will not endorse an i-20.

1. Alena Shautsova

Pro

2

10

Answered . Change statuts that allows employment. H1b, l1, F1 on campus...you should see an attorney to discuss your options.

2. Christian Schmidt

2

Best Answer

Answered . You must change your status to one that permits employment. Most options require an employer who petitions you based on an offer of emplyment. You may otherwise qualify for employment authorization if your spouse is eligible to apply for adjustment of status. You cannot obtain employment authorization in F-2 under any circumstance.

3. Theodore John Murphy

Pro

1

Answered . I agree with Attorney Schmidt.