Skip to main content

What are the options for a US Citizen to bring a current international student (F-1) in Canada to the US?

Smyrna, GA |

My girlfriend is a citizen of Vietnam.
She is currently and recently on a student visa (F-1) studying in Canada.
We have known each other for more than 3 years.
Both are in good standing, clean health and records.
We have a lot of papers and documentation of our relationship.
Please keep in mind, the twist to this case is that she is from Vietnam in Canada to study and I am a US citizen want to bring her from Canada to the US.
What are the options, if any, for us to be unite in the US? Thanks

Attorney Answers 2

  1. There is no visa petition for boyfriends and girlfriends, however if you are engaged to marry you can file a fiance petition. She can also try to qualify for any number of visas to visit the U.S., which do not depend on proving your relationship.

    The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.

  2. If you plan to marry her, your best option is to file a fiancee petition on her behalf. If the petition is approved, she can come into the US to marry you within 90 days of her entry.

Marriage and prenups topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics