What are the options for a US Citizen to bring a current international student (F-1) in Canada to the US?

Smyrna, GA |

My girlfriend is a citizen of Vietnam.
She is currently and recently on a student visa (F-1) studying in Canada.
We have known each other for more than 3 years.
Both are in good standing, clean health and records.
We have a lot of papers and documentation of our relationship.
Please keep in mind, the twist to this case is that she is from Vietnam in Canada to study and I am a US citizen want to bring her from Canada to the US.
What are the options, if any, for us to be unite in the US? Thanks

There is no visa petition for boyfriends and girlfriends, however if you are engaged to marry you can file a fiance petition. She can also try to qualify for any number of visas to visit the U.S., which do not depend on proving your relationship.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.

Thank you for the fast replied. The fact that she is in Canada with F-1 visa from Vietnam DOES NOT affect the process if I file K-1 fiancee visa? Does K-3 also work in this case or make it more complicated?

Stephen D. Berman

Stephen D. Berman

Not a problem. K3 is if you are married. Stephen Berman Attorney at Law Immigration Attorneys, LLP 8989 N. Port Washington Rd., Ste 201 Milwaukee, WI 53217 Tel. 414.939.8099 Fax 414.939.8098 Sent from my wireless device This e-mail and any attachments thereto, is intended only for use by the named addressee(s) and may contain legally privileged and/or confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, you are hereby notified any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail and any attachments thereto, is strictly prohibited. If you received this e-mail in error please immediately notify the sender, at Immigration Attorneys, LLP by sending a reply e-mail or by phoning the sender at 312.661.9100 and permanently delete the original copy and any copy of any e-mail, and any printout thereof. Thank you.

If you plan to marry her, your best option is to file a fiancee petition on her behalf. If the petition is approved, she can come into the US to marry you within 90 days of her entry.

Thank you for the quick answer.

Recommended articles about Immigration