What are the odds someone could get a lawyer for $50 just to help prepare a defense (but not appear in court on my behalf)?

Asked 12 months ago - Des Moines, IA

What I'm looking for is someone to help me write motions, voire dire questions, interrogatories, plan my defense (mostly look at what I currently have planned out and offer suggestions and corrections), and maybe available for hire if I lose (for appeals). The case is very simple and I have an idea of what I want to say and do in court, but I want it to look proffesional and have a higher chance of success. Is it possible to find this somewhere or am I better off going it alone?

Would it be possible to just purchase templates even?

1. Paula Brown Sinclair

2

1

Best Answer

Answered . Maybe that would buy a short session with a beginner, but criminal defense is one area where quality does often correspond to price paid.

This answer is offered as a public service for general information only and may not be relied upon as legal advice.
  2. Thomas O. Moens

1

1

Answered . Most attorneys would be resistant to this type of set up, and for good reason. If things did not go as you planned, it would be very easy for you to sue the attorney for not telling how to fill in the forms correctly, or say the right thing at the right time, etc. Think of it this way: If you need to have your spleen removed, you are not going expect a doctor to sell you a scalpel or two, some anesthetic, and give you few how-to suggestions for $50. Same concept. I would be suspect of an attorney, or doctor, who would agree to this.

3. Colin Christopher Murphy

Pro

1

1

Answered . If finances are an issue, you may want to consider applying for court-appointed counsel.

4. Erik S. Fisk

1

Answered . The odds are very slim.

5. Rixon Charles Rafter III

2

1

Answered . What you are describing, even for a simple case could take 10, 15, 20 hours.

So what you are asking is can you get a lawyer who will work for $2.50 to $5 an hour.

Answer- probably not.

6. Alan James Brinkmeier

1

1

Answered . Not likely

$50 will pay for about a 25 minute session and I know of no quality lawyer that can do all those multiple tasks in such a short time.

7. Thomas G. Briody

Pro

1

1

Answered . I weigh in because I was lucky enough to attend the University of Iowa for law school and received a great education. While I appreciate your desire to save money, I think what you are doing is, to be polite, unwise. If you could find an attorney willing to go along with the business arrangement you suggest, I would urge you not to hire him/her simply because he/she agreed to do it. A criminal trial, even for a very minor charge, is no tea party. If you do not have the funds to hire counsel, seek out the services of the public defender. If you have the resources, hire the best attorney you can afford, hopefully someone who knows the court you are in and has a good reputation in the community. Iowa is a great state, and has an outstanding trial bar. I wish you luck, but you will need more than that to get through this.