Skip to main content

What are the necessary steps to go through probate to sell a house without an attorney?

Salt Lake City, UT |

My mother died in April. She had a living will that her house (her only possession) would go equally to all five children. We are in the process of selling the house and were told by the Title Company that we would need to file in Probate Court. We cannot afford an attorney to do this for us. Our deadline is the 22nd of this month. How do we go about doing this ourselves?

we cannot afford to have it taken out of the sale of the house. We choose to do it with great difficulty. Can anyone else tell us how to go about it? PLEASE?

Attorney Answers 3

  1. You will do this with a great deal of difficulty or not at all. Perhaps you can retain an attorney who will agree to be paid at settlement of the real estate for his or her services in connection with the probate of the will. In addition, there may be inheritance taxes and other obligations of the estate that need to be taken care of before you can receive the proceeds. There is no way around this-get an attorney to help you, before you get into deeper trouble or lose the buyer because you messed around.

    Hope this helps. If you think this post was helpful, please check the thumbs up (helpful) tab below. Thanks.
    Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law in PA with offices in Philadelphia and Montgomery Counties and services clients throughout the state of Pennsylvania. He can be reached at 215-735-2336 or at the email address listed below. He is rated as an AV Preminent attorney from Lexis-Nexis Martindale Hubbell having the received the highest possble rating in legal ability and ethical standards. In addition, he has received a 10.0 rating from AVVO and recently was featured as a 5Star Wealth Manager in the Philadelphia Magazine, November 2009 issue on page 123.
    Mr. Fromm is ethically required to state that the response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. Also, there are no recognized legal specialties under Pennsylvania law. Any references to a trust, estate or tax lawyer refer only to the fact that Mr. Fromm limits his practice to these areas of the law. These responses are only in the form of legal education and are intended to only provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that if known could significantly change the reply or make such reply unsuitable. Mr. Fromm strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their state in order to ensure proper advice is received.
    By using this site you understand and agree that there is no attorney client relationship or confidentiality between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in the subject area in your jurisdiction, who is familiar with your specific facts and all of the circumstances and with whom you have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question or omitted from the question.
    Circular 230 Disclaimer - Any information in this comment may not be used to eliminate or reduce penalties by the IRS or any other governmental agency.

  2. I think that the Probate Court in Salt Lake City has a packet of information for do-it-yourself lawyers. If not, check the website for Utah Courts and maybe you'll find what you need there. I see people in Probate Court, now and then, acting as do-it-yourself lawyers trying to handle probate cases without a lawyer. It is not an impossible task, but I've seen people having to come back to court multiple times because they continued to make mistakes and not comply with legal requirements for probate. Good luck!

  3. I think Randy is right--check with the Third District court clerks and see if there is a packet regarding probate. At one point, there was talk of a Utah Bar Section assembling a self-help probate packet--although I did not find one conspicously posted on the Utah Bar's website. You can also refer to the Utah Code and read the rules as an attorney would. You can find the Utah probate code at: (hope that link works--if not, cut and paste it to your browser).

    Unfortunately, I think you will find the rules a bit hard to navigate. There is a book on Utah Probate, but I beleive it is out of print (although probably available at the U of U Law Library or the BYU Law Library). That book has forms that might help. The hard part is that the forms are like tools, and you have to know what tool to use in a give situation. When I was trying to figure out how to handle probates as a young attorney, that form book was very helpful--although figuring out the process and required documents still took some reading of the Utah Code.

    I wish you the best. I know you don't want to hire an attorney, but I think that is your best bet for a timely closing of the house (even with an attorney, at this point there is a slight chance that it may not be possible to get the documents you need from the court). The probate filing fee is $360--if you shop hard. You can probably find an attorney to open a probate for $500 to $1,000, plus the filing fee, assuming it can be done informally, everyone waives notice, and you don't run into any hitches. You will have to shop around and you will likely find that attorneys are hesitant to give you a firm price quote because they need to know details before they can act.

    Again, I wish you the best.

    Direct: 801.438.6030

    Salt Lake City Office:
    299 South Main Street, Suite 1710
    Salt Lake City, UT 84111
    Office: 801.350.9000

    Ogden Office:
    2610 Washington Boulevard
    Ogden, UT 84401
    Office: 801.528.6660

Wills and estates topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics