What are the merits of my discrimination due to disability case?

Chicago, IL |

I have Tourettes Syndrome. My symptoms are minor vocal tics and facial twitches. My vocal tics have never affected my ability to communicate effectively.

I was interviewing for an Actuarial position with Allstate insurance company. Prior to my on-site interview, I had two separate phone interviews. After both interviews, I was contacted back within a day, and told that my background aligned really well with what the company was looking for, and was moved onto the next steps of the interview process.

During one of the final round interviews with a VP, he made the this comment "We definitely don't have a lot of folks that go around barking like dogs here, so you're going to be on your own there. And frankly, that'd be really annoying for everyone else.

I was later denied the job.

1. You might have a case but the best way to determine this is to consult directly with an employment/discrimination lawyer so that you can discuss in more detail the entire hiring process you went through. Best wishes to you.

2. Did you disclose to the interviewer that you have Tourette's and if so, in what context? I have handled and currently handle disability discrimination cases. I am happy to privately discuss your situation. Please go to our website at www.tsamislaw.com and send us a confidential email.

3. I believe you have a good case. You need to sit down with an attorney and discuss the case in more detail.

This answer posted on Avvo is for informational and educational purposes only. There is no attorney-client relationship created or formed and you should not rely on this as legal advice. You should consult with an attorney immediately.

4. The Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 prohibits employers from discriminating against individuals because of their disabilities. One key element you'll need to show to prove a case under this Act is that the employer or company knew you had a disability. Did you tell the company of your disability or did the VP indicate, at any point, that he knew you had a disability (or that the vocal tics were part of the disability). Are your tics so obvious or distinct that they had to have known you had a disability? We specialize in employment discrimination cases and can let you know of your different options if you are interested in at least following-up on this. Feel free to schedule a consultation with our office if you're interested. 312.566.9590 ext. 2.

5. Your facts are good for a discrimination claim. You need to file your claim with the Illinois Department of Human Rights and the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. They must investigate before you can file a lawsuit.

We have handled discrimination cases for over twenty years, most ending in six figure settlements. I recently settled a discrimination case with Village of Barrington, Barrington Fire dept, and others for $430,000, and just settled with Menards (can't disclose the amount). This is not an indication of what your case is worth, but an example of my law firm's experience with employment discrimination matters.

Jeff Jacobson 331-222-9529

6. Hi, I'd say that you have a case. Definitely contact an attorney. We offer free consultations if you want to talk.

My answering this question does not form an attorney-client relationship. Always retain a qualified attorney before taking any action. My office offers free consultations.