What are the maximum age of a guy dating a 17 year old girl in Florida?

Memphis, TN |

I want to date this girl, but I want to know the age limits. I'm 23 and the girl in question is 17.

Fla. Stat. 784.05 states, in relevant part: "1) A person 24 years of age or older who engages in sexual activity with a person 16 or 17 years of age commits a felony of the second degree"...Therefore, it would appear, based on your facts, that this would be legal. Actually, it is not illegal to date someone who is 16 or 17 even if you are 24; it is just illegal to have sex with that person. However, if you are contemplating sex, your lack of knowledge of the person's actual age is not a defense. Therefore, if the girl is lying about her age and is actually 15, and you sleep with her, you might be out of luck.
This answer is given to you after about 5 minutes of research, therefore, I would advise you to speak with an attorney before engaging in any sexual activity with the girl that you want to date. This advice is given as a starting point and is not a definitive statement of the law. If you would like to speak with me in greater depth, please let me know.
This is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship between you and any attorney. Such Legal Information is intended for general informational purposes only and should be used only as a starting point for addressing your legal issues. It is not a substitute for an in-person or telephone consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction about your specific legal issue, and you should not rely upon such Legal Information. You understand that questions and answers or other postings to the Site are not confidential and are not subject to attorney-client privilege.

I DO NOT recommend any sexual contact. If you love her, you can wait until she is 18.

I am not sure if it is illegal. But, not worth the possible trouble.

Here is a statute that may or may not be outdated that you can use for your research:

Florida Penal Code 794.05 Unlawful sexual activity with certain minors.--