What are the maintenance responsibilities of landlords in Buffalo NY?

I am moving into a 5 bedroom single family home in Buffalo NY. The previous tenants lived there for 3 consecutive years and seemed to let the house fall in disrepair. I was wondering if there are any laws/regulations requiring the landlord to perform specific maintenance jobs such as shampooing carpets, repainting rooms, and replacing broken door knobs prior to my moving in. I appreciate any help with these questions. I have not been able to find specific information on maintenance codes available online.

Buffalo, NY -

Ronald Anthony Sarno

Ronald Anthony Sarno

Real Estate Attorney - New York, NY

In NYS some rentals are strictly regulated and others are not, I suggest you click onto
http://www.speakupwny.com/forums/showthread.php...
and see if you can find the answer DCHR in New York provides rules and regulations but they are for apartment subject to rent guidelines. You could check with city hall and see if there is an agency there which regulates apartments.

You might find my legal guide on selecting and hiring a lawyer helpful.
You might find my legal guide on Is it Legal? Is it Illegal? helpful.
You might find my legal guide on the understanding the different court systems helpful.
You might find my legal guide on legal terms used in litigation helpful
(Even if you are not filing a lawsuit this information can be useful).

You might find my legal guide on landlord/tenant regulations in general and in NJ helpful.
You might find my legal guide on landlord/tenant litigation helpful.

LEGAL DISCLAIMER
Mr. Sarno is licensed to practice law in NJ and NY. His response here is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter in question. Many times the questioner may leave out details which would make the reply unsuitable. Mr. Sarno strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their own state to acquire more information about this issue.