What are the legal rights of a 16 year old with a child who wants to move BACK to father's house but mother won't let her?

Asked over 3 years ago - California, MD

I don't know if custody changed legally or not, but the minor was living with father at time pregnancy occurred but moved in with mother shortly after. Minor claims maternal drug use and unsatifactory living conditions. Minor wants to move back to another state to move back in with her father but mother is preventing minor from making necessary arrangements. Does the minor have rights as an adult now that she has a child of her own? Can the police intervene in any way?

Additional information

Minor is currently living with mother in Maryland.

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Larry Jason Feldman

    Contributor Level 13

    Answered . A 16 year old child can petition the court on their own for a change of custody and I cannot see many judges turning down such a child's request under these circumstances.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

22,771 answers this week

2,843 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

22,771 answers this week

2,843 attorneys answering