What are the legal remedies/repercussions for a lawyer who lies to a judge in his affidavit to support a motion in Civil Court?

Bronx, NY |

In State Supreme Court - If it can be documented that a lawyer lied in an affidavit to support his motion. What remedies should the affected party seek? Should this be reported to the disciplinary committee? or other?

It really depends on what you have. Many litigants believe the other side is lying to the Judge -- that is common. If you can show an outright lie on a material issue you should bring it to the Judge's attention and ask for costs. You can also file a grievance with the Disciplinary Committee. However, I find that most of these situations are not what the litigant thinks.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 17 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

A false statement under oath of a material facts is perjury, and is a very serious charge. But it must be a material fact. If he said, for example, that you got coffee from Starbucks when it really was dunkin donuts, that's not material in most cases, unless the issue is where you were at a particular time, etc. but, as Mr. Rothstein points out, clients usually accuse the other side of lying,and in the overwhelming majority of cases, the statements are either simply someone else's perspective of things, or not material. Be guided by your lawyer here.

We are serious lawyers for the seriously injured. I am a co-author of WEITZ ON AUTOMOBILE LITIGATION: THE NO FAULT HANDBOOK. The opinions expressed in this answer are not legal advice. These opinions are thoughts based on New York practice. We have no attorney-client relationship. Conducting a conversation with me through the avvo comments section does not create an attorney-client relationship. Past results are not necessarily indicative of future performance.

You don't win the case if the opponent's lawyer lied.

Professional ethics topics