What are the legal ages to having sex?

West Palm Beach, FL |

Is it true that it is legal for a person between the ages of 16-23 to have sex with a person who is 16 or 17 years old?

1. No Florida law forbids consensual intercourse between a male and a female who are both between the ages of 16 and 23.

The contents of this answer should be considered friendly advice, not legal advice (I'm a pretty friendly guy), and the answer should not be construed to constitute an attorney-client relationship. If you'd like actual legal advice, call me for a free consultation at 813-635-0222. Also, if you liked this answer as much as my big ego thinks you did, be sure to click the thumbs-up button!

2. Florida recognizes a 'Romeo & Juliet' exception to the statutory rape laws, so long as the parties are between 16-23, and both parties consent. Some courts have found that laws prohibiting sexual activity with minors, where both parties are minors, violate Florida's constitutional right to Privacy. The laws are different in every state, with some states allowing minors to consent to sex as young as 13, and other states requiring all parties to be at least 18. There are many variations in between.

Disclaimer: The foregoing does not constitute legal advice or form an attorney/client relationship. Please contact an attorney for formal legal advice on any specific matter.

Civil rights topics