What are the laws regarding having two names on a car title?

Asked about 2 years ago - Orlando, FL

Life at home has become too difficult to handle and I've been considering moving out. Upon my parents hearing that, they immediately threatened me with "If you move out, you don't get to keep the car" (They don't want me to move out). If both me and my moms name are on the car title, could they realistically take my car away? Is there a way to keep the car even if they're in opposition to it?

1. Heather Morcroft

4

Answered . I would need more information to fully answer this question. Things such as how is the car titled, is it in your name AND your mom's name, or your name OR your mom's name and how old are you, and who signed the loan documents and who is paying for the car are all important facts that would go into answering this question. I have to point out to you that if the car is titled in both your name and your mom's name, it is not your car, it is your car AND your mom's car. So for you to make a realistic decision about how to deal with the ownership of the car and your choice to move out, you need to be able to talk to your mom about it in a mature and cooperative way, The two of you may have to make some compromises. Perhaps if you were to pay off the car, she would relinquish the title to you, and then the problem would be solved. Of course, the issue of insurance on the car would still remain to be resolved.

2. Brent Allan Rose

1

Answered . I agree with the other two attorneys, and I'll add that, if you are under 18, your parents can take your car away.

3. Ophelia Genarina Bernal-Mora

Pro

Answered . Ms. Morcroft is correct. More info is needed, but if it is indeed jointly titled you do not own it free and clear, and if there is a loan on it, neither of you really have title. More information would be needed but I sincerely hope you resolve the issue with your mom first.