Skip to main content

What are the laws regarding having two names on a car title?

Orlando, FL |

Life at home has become too difficult to handle and I've been considering moving out. Upon my parents hearing that, they immediately threatened me with "If you move out, you don't get to keep the car" (They don't want me to move out). If both me and my moms name are on the car title, could they realistically take my car away? Is there a way to keep the car even if they're in opposition to it?

Attorney Answers 3


I would need more information to fully answer this question. Things such as how is the car titled, is it in your name AND your mom's name, or your name OR your mom's name and how old are you, and who signed the loan documents and who is paying for the car are all important facts that would go into answering this question. I have to point out to you that if the car is titled in both your name and your mom's name, it is not your car, it is your car AND your mom's car. So for you to make a realistic decision about how to deal with the ownership of the car and your choice to move out, you need to be able to talk to your mom about it in a mature and cooperative way, The two of you may have to make some compromises. Perhaps if you were to pay off the car, she would relinquish the title to you, and then the problem would be solved. Of course, the issue of insurance on the car would still remain to be resolved.

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree


Ms. Morcroft is correct. More info is needed, but if it is indeed jointly titled you do not own it free and clear, and if there is a loan on it, neither of you really have title. More information would be needed but I sincerely hope you resolve the issue with your mom first.

You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation since every case is different and not all information is relayed in an online question. The Law Office of Ophelia Bernal-Mora, P.A. is a family & criminal law firm located in Orlando, Florida, we invite you to contact us and welcome your calls at 407-377-6828. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.

Mark as helpful


I agree with the other two attorneys, and I'll add that, if you are under 18, your parents can take your car away.

The contents of this answer should be considered friendly advice, not legal advice (I'm a pretty friendly guy), and the answer should not be construed to constitute an attorney-client relationship. If you'd like actual legal advice, call me for a free consultation at 813-635-0222. Also, if you liked this answer as much as my big ego thinks you did, be sure to click the thumbs-up button!

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Family law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics