What are the laws on squatters rights in Louisiana?

Asked over 3 years ago - Leesville, LA

I am buying a piece of land that the family of one of the previous owners is now claiming that he has rights to part of. This property was sold by his aunt about 6 months ago and nothing was said about it then. Now the property is being sold again to me this time and they are claiming they have a right to part of it. There is no fence around the property line but there is a pasture that is fenced in well inside the property line. All of there animals were moved from this pasture when the land was sold the first time implying to me that they understood that this was not their property. Now they are staking their claim. There is also a shed that they do use that the property line actually goes through. I understand they will be able to keep this and am ok with it but what about the rest?

1. Ronald E. Stutes

Pro

Answered . Louisiana has a concept called acquisitive prescription. If a possessor of property is in good faith and just title, after ten years of uninterrupted possession, he acquires ownership. If he is not in good faith, after thirty years of uninterrupted possession, he acquires ownership. Some investigation needs to be done of the chain of title to check the validity of the claims.