What are the laws on DUI for a civilian on Fort Carson base? Is my license valid off base, just not on base?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Fort Carson, CO

I caught my first DUI ever. It was on Fort Carson. I am not military. I literally just moved to Colorado Springs. They took my license and made me blow. I blew .131. They arrested me and fined me for speeding (47 in a 30), DUI and driving with a blood alcohol content of 0.08 or more. Mugshot and fingerprints were taken. I had a friend come get me when they were all done. I'm just confused on whats the law on a civilian getting a DUI on a military base.

1. Laurie Ann Schmidt

Pro

7

Answered . IF the driving occurred on the military base, then the DUI laws for the State of Colorado will apply; however the case would be prosecuted in Federal Court and if convicted it would be a federal DUI conviction, not a state conviction. There are several procedural difference and different penalty consequences in a federal vs state court DUI. I would recommend contacting an attorney that practices both federal and state DUI defense.

2. Daniel Nelson Deasy

4

Answered . I agree completely with Ms. Schmidt. You ought to give her a call.

3. James C Forslund

4

Answered . Your license issues will be controlled by the Colorado Department of Motor Vehicles. If you have been given a Notice of Revocation, you must request a hearing with DMV within 7 days.

4. James A Reed

Pro

2

Answered . Fort Carson duis are normally prosecuted in the magistrates court in downtown Colorado Springs by the us attorney's office out of Denver. But, Fort Carson has a curious jurisdictional hodge podge. Sort of a quilt work pattern because of the way the post was out together over the years. Where does the ticket set your first appearance?

5. Rixon Charles Rafter III

3

Answered . Colorado's laws will apply. Get a CO DUI attorney without delay.