What are the laws in Oregon if someone didn't leave a will?

Asked over 1 year ago - Milton-freewater, OR

My sister claims she is "executor" of mother's estate, who recently passed . She is now claiming there is no will. I asked for a fewitems of mother's & she went on a "power trip", telling me to leave and saying she never wanted to see me again.

There are 5 of us & my mother recently sold her house. She had a stroke and as P.O.A. my sister let her get ripped off. I said the sale contract should have been voided because of my mother's medical condition. I also found out that my mother also owned a "cottage by the ocean", which I knew nothing of. I know nothing of her assets
Worst of all mother SHOULD have been autopsied due to circumstances of her dearh, but I can't even find out. My sister said she was going to cremate. I am extremely angry over this, plus her attitude.
What do I do?

It get even worse. Even though Oregon isnt a community property state, the man I consider responsible for her death is her surviving spouse!!! He is currently living in an expensive assisted living place, diagnosed with Alzeheimers. Yet he takes no medications for it...AND he has 2 children.

1. James Oberholtzer

Pro

14

1

Answered . Run, do not walk to a probate attorney to help you with this. Your concerns are valid and should be investigated immediately. Your sister may sing a different tune when she is contacted by your attorney. There may be an innocent explanation of all of this; but, to preserve your rights you need to move immediately.

2. James P. Frederick

11

1

Best Answer

Answered . Your sister would appear to have no more rights in this than you, but you are not likely to make any headway on this unless you retain a probate attorney to assist you. It is not clear what the assets are, so you may have the attorney assist you in investigating this, first, so you can determine if it make sense to file a probate action. Time appears to be of the essence, here.

James Frederick

3. George Winslow Mead

9

1

Answered . I agree with the other posts that you should contact a probate litigator immediately. The only hting I owuld add is that if, as your sister insists, there is no will , your mother died "intestate" and your sister has no more rights than you do. It is a race to the courthouse to file and get a Personal Representative appointed. You should also be ocncerned about your sister disposing of assets and trasnferring accounts.

If there was a will and your sisiter destroyred orvdisposed of it, it presents another set of circumstances.

This is going to a fight and you need a seasoned attroney to handl it for you.

4. Joseph Franklin Pippen Jr.

Pro

8

1

Answered . I agree with the posted answers.
    You need an attorney immediately to protect your interests.