What are the laws governing setting up a international entity?

Asked over 1 year ago - Stacy, MN

The European corporation is going global and I am the USA contact. What I know is: I need to establish a C-Corp with this entity for the person to step foot on the ground in the USA to do training in the US. Each state needs a entity contract to do business in that state. After establishing the C Corp a contract with that entity guides the process. I need to know what international laws pertain to us in this process.

Attorney answers (5)

  1. Linda Yin Liang

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Sounds like no international law may be involved, a few may, depends on what you are trying to accomplish. For instance, to bring this person to US, we are talking about immigration law. To establish C-Corp, we are talking about state law. You need to specify your needs and work with a lawyer with the particular skills.

  2. Jeremy Judson Cobb

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Then you should contact an international lawyer.

  3. Brian M Gottesman

    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You may, in fact, be better off setting up a U.S. subsidiary under a different structure, such as an LLC. It depends on the nature of the business, the desired structure, and a host of other issues.

    It is unclear what "international laws" may apply. Again, this is a highly fact-specific issue. There will likely be cross-border taxation issues, for example, if revenue is being generated in the U.S. and then transferred abroad (or vice versa).

    My firm regularly does business formations for foreign entities looking to do business in the U.S. Where necessary we bring in highly competent international tax counsel and other attorneys with relevant expertise. Feel free to contact me to discuss further at bgottesman@bergerharris.com.

    This answer is provided for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. I am licensed to... more
  4. Luca Cristiano Maria Melchionna

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . It depends on the state you form the entity. It depends also on the type of business the EU corporation is conducting. the legal, tax and immigration repercussions are many. My suggestion is to work with an international firm. Feel free to gather information from our website. Best.

    This reply is offered for educational purpose only. You should seek the advice of an attorney. The response given... more
  5. Todd Matthew Heine

    Contributor Level 13

    Answered . We help businesses set up these cross-border structures: it's our firms sole practice. Feel free to get in touch.

    Total Mobility Law is an international law firm that lets companies do global business with the knowledge and... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,445 answers this week

3,286 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,445 answers this week

3,286 attorneys answering