What are the laws for annulment for tarrant county tx for 1996.

Asked over 1 year ago - Fort Worth, TX

my (EX?) husband was put in prison in 1996 for 122 yr sentence. i was told by the leader of my church that my marriage was considered annulled, and was told by several divorce attorneys that my marriage would be legally annulled after 7 years if i returned to my maiden name and did not file taxes with him for the 7 yrs. i called today to get documentation of the annulment, and according to the tarrant county district clerk, i am still considered married to this man and i have been married 2 time since then with a legal divorce of my second husband. is this true? im confused as to what i was told and what im being told now.

1. William Tyler Moore Jr

Pro

1

Answered . Texas does not have an "Automatic" annulment. Someone must file a petition asking for an annulment to be granted and go to court to obtain the court order. If you never filed an annulment petition or a suit for divorce and had an order entered granting either, you and the convict are still married.

I suggest you get a family law attorney and resolve this once and for all.

2. Peggy Margaret Raddatz

Pro

Answered . You still need to get a divorce. You shuld consult a local divorce attorney in person.