Skip to main content

What are the issues regarding a sex offender marriage to someone who has a teen child?

Lewes, DE |

Example: Sex offender has "No contact with minors" restriction, and a "No unsupervised contact with minor at public events/venues (church, weddings, funerals, et al)".

Dates a woman who has a teen child, but never seen or had contact with the child, nor provided any support. He can wait till the child is 18 (assume child 16) and ask for permission to marry, but is is possible to marry and not live with the spouse until the child is of age? Should they wait or try for special conditions?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


I do not practice in DE, but I may offer some general advice. First, you mention asking for permission to marry. Are you on probation? If so, you should ask your probation officer these questions. Probation officers generally have some level of control over whether you may marry.

Second, you can ask your probation officer to make an exception related to your fiancee's child. But ultimately, you may have to ask the court to allow you contact with your fiancee's child. This way, you could marry and live together immediately.

If your probation officer does not object, there is likely no reason you cannot marry and live separately for a time.

Bear in mind if your fiancee's daughter's father is actively involved in the daughter's life, the father may object to your being around the daughter. If so, the father could move a family court to take action (i.e., prohibit you from contact with the daughter, prevent you from living with fiancee, ask for sole custody and placement of daughter, etc.)

Good luck!

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer