What are the guidelines to sponsor your spouse for a green card?

Asked about 4 years ago - Edinburg, TX

We are about to do our income and i need to know how much my husband has to earned to be able to sponsor me we are a family of four.

1. Isaul Verdin

Answered . In addition to the previous answer, you can find the poverty guidelines on form I-864P. This form can be found at www.uscis.gov.

Good luck to you.

2. David Nabow Soloway

Answered . If your husband is a U.S. Citizen applying for you to adjust status, he will need to submit an Affidavit of Support regardless of his income. If his income is insufficient to meet the requirements specified in the Form I-864P Poverty Guidelines, then it will be necessary for you and he to secure a joint sponsor to also submit an Affidavit of Support. The joint sponsor generally may be any U.S. Citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident regardless of relationship to you or your husband.

The 2009 Form I-864P specifies that if the sponsor's household size is four persons, then only he will have to submit an Affidavit of Support if he can show documentable income of at least $27,562 per year. It will be important to supply satisfactory proof of income (such as, for example 2009 tax return, letter from his employer and current paystub showing year-to-date information).

[Note: Consistent with Avvo policy, this communication is intended as general information and not specific legal advice, and this communication does not create an attorney-client relationship.]

David N. Soloway
    Frazier, Soloway & Poorak, P.C.
    1800 Century Place, Suite 100
    Atlanta, Georgia 30345 www.fspklaw.com
    404-320-7000 * 1-877-232-5352 * dsoloway@fspklaw.com