Skip to main content

What are the FL laws for adoption of a stepchild?

Panama City, FL |

I have court ordered full custody and child support for my 5 year old son. His father hasn't paid child support in 3 years and has never been involved in his life. I honestly couldn't even say where he is. My fiancée wants to adopt my son when we get married. But I don't know what the laws are. My son has my last name and his father isn't on the birth certificate. I do have a signed and notarized Acknowledgment of Paternity. What would we have to do for him to adopt him.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You need a lawyer! Adoptions are so complicated that not all family lawyers do them. Spend the money now and save thousands over the next few years. Good luck to you.

This information is a general answer and is not specific to any particular case. Carin Manders Constantine, Esq. 727-456-0032/ 727-488-8272


I agree - hire a lawyer that handles stepparent adoptions. It could be straightforward if the father consents to it. Many great attorneys can be found here on Avvo, search for one that specializes in adoption law in your area.

You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation since every case is different and not all information is relayed in an online question. The Law Office of Ophelia Bernal-Mora, P.A. is a family law firm located in Orlando, Florida, we invite you to contact us and welcome your calls at 407-354-5223. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.


You will have to try and get the consent of the father so that the step-parent adoption goes more smoothly. You should consult with an attorney in your area for further guidance. Good Luck.

B. Elaine Jones, Esq.

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer