What are the FL laws for adoption of a stepchild?

Asked about 1 year ago - Panama City, FL

I have court ordered full custody and child support for my 5 year old son. His father hasn't paid child support in 3 years and has never been involved in his life. I honestly couldn't even say where he is. My fiancée wants to adopt my son when we get married. But I don't know what the laws are. My son has my last name and his father isn't on the birth certificate. I do have a signed and notarized Acknowledgment of Paternity. What would we have to do for him to adopt him.

1. Carin Manders Constantine

3

Answered . You need a lawyer! Adoptions are so complicated that not all family lawyers do them. Spend the money now and save thousands over the next few years. Good luck to you.

2. Ophelia Genarina Bernal-Mora

Pro

3

Answered . I agree - hire a lawyer that handles stepparent adoptions. It could be straightforward if the father consents to it. Many great attorneys can be found here on Avvo, search for one that specializes in adoption law in your area.

3. Betty Elaine Jones

3

Answered . You will have to try and get the consent of the father so that the step-parent adoption goes more smoothly. You should consult with an attorney in your area for further guidance. Good Luck.

Sincerely,
    B. Elaine Jones, Esq.