Skip to main content

What are the exact rules regarding taking over a home through eminent Domain?

Las Vegas, NV |

I live next door to a house that has been abandoned close to a year. I looked up the house and it is not for sale or for rent and the owners apparently has just left it. The house is in decent shape and I have maintained basic maintenance and landscaping out my own pocket to keep it looking presentable. I am vaguely familar with the Eminent Domain process and want to know if this would be an ideal case for it. I would like to know the exact legal process i would have to go through in order to have a legal claim to this house. Oh and the house isn't forclosed it is still legally owned by someone but there aren't any up to date records of where to locate the owner.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Eminent Domain is the governmental right to acquire private property for public need. You can not assert ED as private person. Neither ED or Adverse Possession applicable to Houses only to land.


Eminent Domain is available only to governmental entities and not private persons. Additionally, see the answers to your question here:

Real estate topics

Recommended articles about Real estate

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer