What are the environmental requirements for having employees work from an office you have built on your home property?

Sacramento, CA |

I work for a local locksmith as dispatcher. I used to work from home but they recently built an office on their property that I now work from. What are they required to have for their employees? They have a bathroom but that's about it. We can ask for water, but if they happen to leave we have no access to it because it is in their house and they lock the house up. I know there are requirements, I just do not know how to look them up.

1. You will need to look into zoning and building codes for home based businesses in your area. The regulations for home based businesses are typically less restrictive than other commercial businesses. However, home based businesses are also typically limited in the number of non-resident employees they can employ. I would recommend consulting with a local employment lawyer to assist you.

Jennifer Rohleder is a licensed attorney in the Commonwealth of Virginia and the District of Columbia. The answers provided on Avvo.com are for information purposes only, and should not be relied on as legal advice. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship between us.

2. The local building inspector may also be able to help you. There are requirements for businesses to host employees in most building codes. Usually, you need to have appropriate sanitation and cleanliness to host business guests. Basically, functional bathroom facilities, no rodents, a customarily safe and habitable house, and the appropriate zoning and building authorizations (if any). Good luck.

This answer is for general information purposes, and is not legal advice. Please understand that by answering this question, I am not creating an attorney client relationship with you. If we agree in writing, then I would begin to represent you.

Environmental law topics