Skip to main content

What are the different ways of filing for divorce?

Fort Lauderdale, FL |
Filed under: Divorce

I'm a bit confused. I thought filing for divorce was just that, but now im hearing there are different forms of divorce, i.e. contested, uncontested, etc... I don't understand what this means or which one I should be filing for.

Attorney Answers 3


Visit my site for a better explanation of the two types of divorce available in Florida.


Daniel Bachert, Esq.
The Bachert Law Firm, P.A.
330 Clematis Street, Suite 222
West Palm Beach, Florida 33401
(561) 653-3951

Please be aware and advised that this public forum is designed to provide only general information, to give you a basis of legal knowledge. This public forum does not give you attorney-client privilege. You and I have not entered into an attorney-client relationship. I am not responsible for your legal rights and this answer is based solely on the information you have provided in your question and as always, I would advise that you arrange for an in person consultation with an attorney from my firm or another Family Law attorney familiar with Florida Family Law who can analyze the specific facts and circumstances of your case more closely to better advise you.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


A divorce is a divorce. However, if the parties can agree on everything, and stipulate on paper to this agreement, then the matter becomes uncontested.

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree


Thus in no seperate type of a divorce to file but there is a "simplied" divorce procudure that you can initiate that has less burdensome paperwork requirements. Basically you should probaby just file for a divorce and as the case progresses an agreement may be reached. If that is the case (which happens in about 90% of all cases) then you can schedule a hearing on the judge's uncontested calandar and recieve your Final Judgemnt of Dissolution of Marriage that same day. If there is no agreement, then a trial has to be scheduled and the parties must appear before the court and present evidence in the form of papers and testimony from the parties and/or other witnesses and then the judge makes a ruling. You should consult with a qualified family law attorney to decide what to do and to determine if you qualify for the simlified procedure.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree

Divorce topics

Recommended articles about Divorce

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics