What are the different types of custody and which is the one i should be asking for?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Miami, FL

I understand that the custody or time sharing laws have changed and I'm slightly confused. I thought the options were sole custody and joint custody. now i hear about custodial custody, physical custody, etc and i dont know what i am suppose to be asking for. I want my son to live full time with me. vistations with his father of course but not over night until he is a little older (he's 1 year old) I want to be the main caregiver and decision maker for him. how do i go about doing this?

1. Heather Morcroft

Answered . The presumption in Florida is for time sharing with the parents, that both parents should have joint custody and decision making regardless of how the time is split up. If you want to change that, you basically have to show that the other parent is unfit, or dangerous to the child, or needs to be supervised for some reason. The courts don't consider that a child should be just with mom simply because the child is younger, unless mom can show that dad can't care for the child.