What are the detail involved with "working" for the police, setting up a drug deal?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Northport, NY

i was arrested recently & charged with controlled substance, hypo needles loitering. Im currently on ACOD for marijuana possesion and have other charges pending in a different county. the cop offered me the option of "working" for them and setting up a drug deal if i did my new charges will be dropped. Do they really drop your charges or is that just an insentive? I have a legal aid she adviced me not to do it for the fact that if the person finds out i set them up they will be out for me. Can the police tell them it was a set up? Am i protected in any way? I heard the statement you write can be public knowledge & you can even look up whos a "snitch" online. A friend of mine was arrested for dealing and he told me the cops told him it was indeed a set up who did it. Whats the real deal?!

1. Eric Edward Rothstein

2

Answered . There are no specific "details." There is no on-line database to learn who snithces are. If you are serious about this you want to become a registered informant and put the specifics in writing so the police later cannot say you were not authorized to do what they ask you to and instead arrest you again. Your lawyer should be involved in this because it is up to the DA - not the police - to resolve your current case. If your lawyer won't help with this I suggest you retain a lawyer who will. Please understand that often it is not hard for someone to figure out who set them up... its usually the person they were dealing with prior to the arrest.

2. Joseph A Lo Piccolo

Answered . You need your own attorney to advise you. It's not as simple as a cop tells you it is.