What are the conspiracy to check fraud laws in PA? I have a previous criminal record but not for this issue.

Asked about 1 year ago - Philadelphia, PA

I was told by someone that they could deposit 3 bounced checks into my account and I would be able to withdraw the cash. They explained to me that I would only receive overdraft fees and other charges against my account but nothing further. I agreed, and gave my card and pin number to a friend to go with said person and deposit the checks. The person withdrew about $700.00 from the account before account was put on restraint. The banks security called me and said I would be prosecuted for fraud because I stole from the bank and all information would be given to local police and a arrest warrant issued. I did not go to withdraw the money, nor did I sign or see any of the bounced checks.I just gave my card and pin number.I just want to repay the bank what I owe them and resolve this.

1. Robert C. Keller

5

Answered . The first mistake you made was agreeing to be part of this scheme, the second was posting incriminating information on a public site. You should stop posting and retain a criminal defense attorney who will take steps necessary to protect you.

2. Joseph A Mullaney III

4

Answered . Generally, one should not admit to her crimes on the internet. The internet is not anonymous so statements made against one's interest can come back to haunt.

Generally, one cannot enter a conspiracy to defraud a bank and then when the conspiracy fails claim "I didn't do it/my co-conspirators did."

You should get an attorney. Now.

3. Christopher M. Patterson

3

Answered . In PA a conspiracy is defined as an agreement between two or among three or more people to commit a crime and one of the conspirators takes a step towards commission of the crime (overt act). From the facts you describe you should quit posting about this matter, and you should speak to no one except an experienced criminal defense attorney. With luck you may be able to resolve this without criminal charges, or if you are charged, through a dismissal upon satisfaction or agreement, or a diversionary program.Good luck.