What are the consequences of Perjury (lying under oath) about your address in district.

Asked over 3 years ago - White Plains, NY

I was doing a guardianship for my nephew I got the guardianship withing the family court I put the address that I was living were my nephew was residing. Now that I got his guardianship I'm trying to enroll him in the same school as my other children another district. I submitted the paper work from guardianship and they denied my case based on that on paper work I put my adress different under oath. Now they want me to remove my children from the district. But in reality I live in in this district I have proof that I live there which is a different district then my nephews previous school. Please help need advice.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Eric Edward Rothstein

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . You have put yourself in a tough spot because school districts have been going after people for lying about their residence. You have some criminal exposure for lying on the guardianship paperwork. I suggest you retain an attorney who deals with education issues. I can refer you to a few if you'd like.

    I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases.... more
  2. Theodore Lyons Araujo


    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Depending on the dates between these two documents don't people move? I have to assume that the child does not actually reside in the district where you seek to enroll him. If he lives there the prior statements should not be controlling.

    Disclaimer: This answer does not constitute legal advice. I am admitted in the States of New York, New Jersey and... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,034 answers this week

3,467 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,034 answers this week

3,467 attorneys answering