What are the consequences of Perjury (lying under oath) about your address in district.

Asked almost 3 years ago - White Plains, NY

I was doing a guardianship for my nephew I got the guardianship withing the family court I put the address that I was living were my nephew was residing. Now that I got his guardianship I'm trying to enroll him in the same school as my other children another district. I submitted the paper work from guardianship and they denied my case based on that on paper work I put my adress different under oath. Now they want me to remove my children from the district. But in reality I live in in this district I have proof that I live there which is a different district then my nephews previous school. Please help need advice.

1. Eric Edward Rothstein

Answered . You have put yourself in a tough spot because school districts have been going after people for lying about their residence. You have some criminal exposure for lying on the guardianship paperwork. I suggest you retain an attorney who deals with education issues. I can refer you to a few if you'd like.

2. Theodore Lyons Araujo

Pro

Answered . Depending on the dates between these two documents don't people move? I have to assume that the child does not actually reside in the district where you seek to enroll him. If he lives there the prior statements should not be controlling.