What are the consequences of not showing up for a jury duty?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Beverly Hills, CA

Oh my god, the worse thing happened to me. I got summoned for jury duty and I really don't want to show up. It's very tedious. I'm so much better than waiting in some stuffy, ekky courtroom, especially for some miscreant who will be found guilty anyway. I'm so much better than that! Anyway, what would happen if I disregard it and what are the best methods of getting out of jury duty?

1. Gary A Kester

4

Best Answer

Answered . Many, immature and irresponsible, people feel as you have described. It is sad really. The best thing in the world that you can do for your fellow man is to show up at jury duty. With your attitude you will likely get struck, right after being lectured by the judge. While I have had juries that I do not agree with the people that serve are still nonetheless one of my heros.

2. Michael Charles Doland

4

Answered . You have no idea how jury duty has changed. Bring your laptop or take addvantage of the computers they provide. Watch television while waiting on the televisions they provide. Read.

Don't show up and a bench warrant will issue for your arrrest.

Frankly your obnoxious question shows you don't deserve to take part in one of the key responsabilities of a free republic, being judged by a jury of your peers. It is so obnoxious I thought it was a joke when I first read it, but I have met people before with your attitude. "Attitude" is another benefit of this free country.

3. Neil Pedersen

4

Answered . Mr. Doland is correct on so many levels. Grow up and become an adult citizen of our country. There are men losing their lives to fulfill their civic obligation, and you are so selfish that you cannot take a day or more out of your pitiful life to serve your country? It all about you, isn't it?

Innocent people go to jail because of attitudes like yours. Not everyone who is arrested is guilty, and they need committed members of our society to keep the government in check. That is what our system is all about.

I sincerely hope you were just kidding and trying to get a rise out of the attorneys on this site.

Wouldn't it be sweet if you were wrongly accused of a crime and you got 12 people like you on your jury? Maybe only then would you realize that jury duty and a proper attitude toward it is a critically important part of our system of justice.