What are the consequences of not showing up for a jury duty?

Beverly Hills, CA |

Oh my god, the worse thing happened to me. I got summoned for jury duty and I really don't want to show up. It's very tedious. I'm so much better than waiting in some stuffy, ekky courtroom, especially for some miscreant who will be found guilty anyway. I'm so much better than that! Anyway, what would happen if I disregard it and what are the best methods of getting out of jury duty?

Many, immature and irresponsible, people feel as you have described. It is sad really. The best thing in the world that you can do for your fellow man is to show up at jury duty. With your attitude you will likely get struck, right after being lectured by the judge. While I have had juries that I do not agree with the people that serve are still nonetheless one of my heros.

I am an Arizona attorney. AVVO does not pay us for our responses. Simply because I responded to your question does not mean I am your attorney. In Arizona a non-lawyer is held to the same standards as an attorney so there are dangers to representing yourself. This is for informational purposes only and should not be considered as legal advice. If you require legal assistance an in depth discussion of your case is needed as there are many other issues to consider such as defenses, statute of limitations, etc.

Answer the question next time Gary; I didn't ask for your rude comment. If you were my attorney I would have fired you!

Gary A Kester

Gary A Kester

Well, I am sorry that the truth hurts and it certainly was not rude. I would not have such a rude person as a client so you would not have to worry about us getting along. I only represent those worthy.

LOL I'm screwing with you guys. Take care.

It was a joke

You have no idea how jury duty has changed. Bring your laptop or take addvantage of the computers they provide. Watch television while waiting on the televisions they provide. Read.

Don't show up and a bench warrant will issue for your arrrest.

Frankly your obnoxious question shows you don't deserve to take part in one of the key responsabilities of a free republic, being judged by a jury of your peers. It is so obnoxious I thought it was a joke when I first read it, but I have met people before with your attitude. "Attitude" is another benefit of this free country.

The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not "legal advice" but analysis, and different lawyers may analyse this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. I am only licensed in California. See also avvo.com terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here.

It's responsibilities, not "responsabilities" I thought you went to law school. I have a constitutional right of freedom of speech. I asked a simple question, answer it without the rudeness!

Mr. Doland is correct on so many levels. Grow up and become an adult citizen of our country. There are men losing their lives to fulfill their civic obligation, and you are so selfish that you cannot take a day or more out of your pitiful life to serve your country? It all about you, isn't it?

Innocent people go to jail because of attitudes like yours. Not everyone who is arrested is guilty, and they need committed members of our society to keep the government in check. That is what our system is all about.

I sincerely hope you were just kidding and trying to get a rise out of the attorneys on this site.

Wouldn't it be sweet if you were wrongly accused of a crime and you got 12 people like you on your jury? Maybe only then would you realize that jury duty and a proper attitude toward it is a critically important part of our system of justice.

This answer should not be construed to create any attorney-client relationship. Such a relationship can be formed only through the mutual execution of an attorney-client agreement. The answer given is based on the extremely limited facts provided and the proper course of action might change significantly with the introduction of other facts. All who read this answer should not rely on the answer to govern their conduct. Please seek the advice of competent counsel after disclosing all facts to that attorney. This answer is intended for California residents only. The answering party is only licensed to practice in the State of California.

Yikes! You're so rude Neil. I was simply asserting my opinion; I didn't ask for your extraneous statement . I'm not a selfish person, if you only knew all the money I've donated to humanitarian organizations. Just recently I donated to the Red Cross for the Sandy relief. I pay my taxes, probably more than you. Lastly, I would never end up in jail because I obey the law!

Neil Pedersen

Neil Pedersen

I might note that so far 4 other lawyers agreed with my response. Paying taxes and donating are the easy way out. Giving of your time to a worthy cause, like jury duty takes a commitment to the important reasons behind it. And you can keep your head in the sand, but innocent people get charged with crimes all the time. I sincerely hope not you, but my comment was to make a point. I apologize for my rudeness. I feel very passionately about jury duty commitment and your post was antagonistic to all that I believe about that commitment. Good day to you.

lol, I'm screwing with you guys. Take care.

It was a joke

Neil Pedersen

Neil Pedersen

:)

Michael Charles Doland

Michael Charles Doland

Well, both Mr. Pedersen and I realized it. Re-read our answers.

Wow, I guess Mr. Hester ^ must of taken it seriously. Shame on me, I like getting attorneys all riled up.