What are the consequences of not renewing a green card?

Asked over 2 years ago - Orlando, FL

The fee to to renew is now $450 and I am retired, on social security and cannot afford this. I have been in the US for 20 years and have already renewed my green card once. I do not wish to go to the expense of renewing again. I do not have any criminal issues.

1. Kyndra L. Mulder

Pro

Answered . The consequences are as my colleagues stated. In addition you could be denied further SS benefits if you can not show that you have maintained your status.

Have you considered applying for naturalization so that you never have to worry about this again?

Kyndra L. Mulder, Esquire
    Orlando Office: (904) 296-7702

2. Neil Ian Fleischer

1

Answered . Well, you may run into issues obtaining an ID pr license or other documentation ( possibly social security) which require valid proof of immigration status in the US

YOu may be able to get the fee waived , check with a lawyer

www.immigrate2usa.com

3. J Charles Ferrari

1

Answered . Please see the answer to your other question.