What are the consequences of not paying your traffic ticket?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Tallahassee, FL

I went to traffic school and handed in my certificate. However, I lost my job a month ago and don't have the money to pay for my ticket. I don't have a car nor do I drive. Can I just pay for the ticket when I am able to? Does it matter if my license gets suspended? Will I get arrested?

1. Adam Lloyd Pollack

4

1

Answered . I agree with everything that the previous answer had in it. Additionally, if your license is suspended many potential employers like to know about your drivers license status. This could prevent you from getting a job or if you had reinstated your license, it still could prevent you from getting a job if the other applicant never had a drivers license issue. Your insurance rates also could increase. You should beg and borrow the money to take care of your financial obligation. If all else fails, you should contact the judge BEFORE your money is due and see if the court will work out either a payment plan for you or possibly some community service, in lieu of money owed. I doubt the community service option exists, but you never know until you ask.

2. John Stephen Hager

Pro

4

Answered . If you do not pay the traffic ticket, your license may be suspended and then you will have to pay a lot more in late fees and reinstatement fees. The clerk may be able to arrange a payment plan.

3. Matthew Benjamin Bennett

4

1

Answered . I understand you have financial constraints like many people these days, but not paying the ticket is going to cost you even more. If you pay late there will be a late fee added. If your license are suspended you might have to pay a reinstatement fee. Worst of all, if your license is suspended and you drive, you could get arrested for driving on a suspended license, which can lead to more fines, jail time, and a longer suspension period.

4. Mark Douglas Ringsmuth

Answered . You should go to the Clerk of the Court and attempt to work out a payment plan or to permit you to perform community service in lieu of paying the fine. Community service is statutorily permissible. If the Clerk cannot give you permission to perform community service you could file a motion requesting that the court convert the fine to community service. If you do not take some action to resolve this you will receive a D-6 suspension of your license. This will Require additional time and money to set aside if you want to drive. Practically speaking, there will come a time when you need to drive or someone else (think designated driver) will ask you to drive. That is exactly when you will get pulled over and charged with driving on a suspended license. One last point, if you allow your license to be suspended you cannot carry it as an ID. Possession of a suspended license is a crime.