What are the consequences of keeping power (DTE) on in dead persons name

Asked 5 months ago - Detroit, MI

DTE Did an audit on deceased would be well over 100 yrs old and found that everything was still on now they want the balance paid in full $1500 my friend does not have it but still lives in the house what is going to happen to my friend

1. James T. Weiner

1

Answered . I would advise your friend to contact DTE and place the account in his/her name. Thereafter he/she can ask for a payment plan to make up the difference -- and potentially get credit/help from authorities if he/she cannot afford it.
    Otherwise DTE will disconnect AND may still go after her for fraud

2. Lynnmarie A. Johnson

Pro

Answered . If he has been living there and the bill is his, he needs to call DTE and set up a payment plan or make arrangements with them immediately. Otherwise they will turn off the power to the house, a dead person doesn't need power. They may insist on him changing it to his name and showing them the lease, purchase, whatever papers that give him the right to have the power turned on in his name.

3. Richard Edward Sexner

Answered . He should contact the utility. Find out what sort of proof they require for him to show that the debt is not his. With some utilities showing documents with the purchase date will be enough for them to release the debt.