Skip to main content

What are the consequences of keeping power (DTE) on in dead persons name

Detroit, MI |

DTE Did an audit on deceased would be well over 100 yrs old and found that everything was still on now they want the balance paid in full $1500 my friend does not have it but still lives in the house what is going to happen to my friend

Attorney Answers 3


He should contact the utility. Find out what sort of proof they require for him to show that the debt is not his. With some utilities showing documents with the purchase date will be enough for them to release the debt.

Mark as helpful


If he has been living there and the bill is his, he needs to call DTE and set up a payment plan or make arrangements with them immediately. Otherwise they will turn off the power to the house, a dead person doesn't need power. They may insist on him changing it to his name and showing them the lease, purchase, whatever papers that give him the right to have the power turned on in his name.

If you like this answer the best, please check so. I am licensed to practice in Michigan, but this is general advice and you should consult your own attorney before taking any further actions.

Mark as helpful


I would advise your friend to contact DTE and place the account in his/her name. Thereafter he/she can ask for a payment plan to make up the difference -- and potentially get credit/help from authorities if he/she cannot afford it.
Otherwise DTE will disconnect AND may still go after her for fraud

Please note that I answered this question with general knowlege of the law and with limited disclosure from you, my answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and I cannot be held responsible for how you, the asker, use the information provided. If you want to contact me directly and retain my services you may through my listing on this site or at 248-901-0750 or

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Bankruptcy and debt topics

Recommended articles about Bankruptcy and debt

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics