What are the consequences in Indiana for illegal consumption of alcohol by someone between the age of 18 and 20?

Columbus, IN |

My 19 year old brother was pulled over for speeding. The police officer smelled alcohol on him and decided to do a breathalizer. He blew a 0.01. The officer told my brother that because he was 19 that they had to take him to jail. He only spent a few hours in jail and then was let go without someone having to post bond. Knowing that he was a first time offender what are the possible options of punishment for him?

He has only been charged with illegal consumption.

I see many questions on avvo in which people want to do what is going to happen to them because of such and such an offense or parole violation. In truth no one except your lawyer can even give you an approximate answer to that question because it depends on so many variables: your state’s laws and procedures, your criminal history if any, whether there are any sentencing enhancements, whether your state has diversion programs for your offense. These kinds of questions really require that you contact a local lawyer and even then they can only give you a range.

DUI topics

Recommended articles about DUI