Skip to main content

What are the consequences if i do not attend a master hearing ?

Kennett Square, PA |

My ex has filed for a master hearing and i am out of the country right now. I do not have an attorney and i cannot go back by the date of the hearing. I am not in agreement with the conditions set forth and i have no faith that justice will be done to me even after appointing a master. Hence i don't want to spend money on court fees. Do I have to attend the hearing or can i let it go. How should i proceed ?

I cannot make it back at that time. I have not been served with the papers yet and got to know through a source about the issue. In case i receive the papers, can i appeal to the court to postpone the hearing ? Apart from a decision being incorporated without my presence can there be any other legal actions against me for not attending ?

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Very important that you either attend the court or make it known with proof that you are away and not able to attend, absent that a decision could be incorporated without your presence. Perhaps it may be best to retain local counsel and they can seek a continuance. Good luck and take good care.

    Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Massachusetts. Responses are based solely on Massachusetts law unless stated otherwise.

  2. Concur with Mr. Lewis; Ignoring the hearing will almost certainly cost you more than attending or communicating with the court your physical presence challenge.

    READ THIS BEFORE CALLING OR EMAILING ME: I am licensed in the Commonwealth of Virginia, addressing your issue does not create an attorney-client relationship and I AM NOT providing you legal advice. You should speak with an attorney to whom you have provided all the facts, before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. I am not obligated to answer subsequent emails or phone calls unless you have hired me. I wish you the best of luck with your situation.

  3. You might find that in the long run spending money on a lawyer to go to the hearing for you or to request a new date that you will be available will cost you far less money than not appearing and having an order entered against you in which you did not participate. It is better to be involved in the process from the beginning.