Skip to main content

What are the consequences for running away?

Peachtree City, GA |
Filed under: Child abuse

Hi I am 15 and my dad is in prison for abuse and is sentenced to 15 years and no contact with me or my family for that period of time. But my mom is abusive, and so is my sister who is 18. I have talked to people, but no one will listen. If they find my mom guilty I will be place in a foster home, and I don't want that. What are the consequences for running away?

I am planning on running away, I am not looking for someone to talk me out of it. I am done getting hit and put down. I just need help IF I get caught.

Attorney Answers 1


Please do reconsider.

A 15 year old can't even work, so the odds are you either get arrested, and go to juvenile court and end up in juvenile detention, or back with your parents, or you end up being taken in by the criminal element, who probably will abuse you.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree

Child abuse topics

Recommended articles about Child abuse

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics