What are the consequences for LPRs who fail to report the change of address with USCIS?

Asked over 1 year ago - Red Bank, NJ

I am an LPR since 2006. I have never reported the change of address since I moved out of my ex husband's house (2010) as I didn't know about this rule. I have been in China now for 8 month with my fiance and we are coming back in two months. Shall I at this point report the change of address? I want to avoid any problems being admitted back into the country as I found out a failure to report an address change is a violation. We gave up our apartment in NJ before we left and receive our mail temporarily at his parent's address which is in CT while we are away. We plan to find an apartment in NJ and reside there when we come back. I have NJ driver's license, filed my return as a NJ resident. Shall I report my temporary mailing address in CT to USCIS where I really do not plan to reside?

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

15

1

Answered . You cannot updo the past, so start filing change of address forms with the USCIS after you return to the US. Also, since you were outside the US for more than 180 days, this raises a legal presumption that you abandoned your lawful permanent residence. You should be ready to convince the CBP officer at your port of entry that you always intended to return to the U.S.

2. F. J. Capriotti III

3

1

Answered . Mr. Shusterman is correct ... your address problem isn't as big as your 'not living in the US' problem.

An absence of more than 6 months will probably cause 'questioning' when you arrive at the US port of entry.

Talk to an attorney ... many of us consult via Skype.

3. J. Thomas Smith Ph.D.

Pro

2

Answered . i agree with my colleagues.