What are the consequences for driving with an expired driver's license in Nevada?

Las Vegas, NV |

Don't consciously want to break law, just cannot renew until immigration status changes. My license expires on 2/3 with my green card. I have my citizenship interview on 2/5.

I have edited your question's topic area to reflect Immigration Law as in my opinion that is the area of biggest concern in the scenario you posted.

Often times, driving with an expired driver's license is a "fix it" citation, where if you correct the matter that led to the citation, get your license renewed for example, the citation will be dismissed or you might have to pay a fine of a couple of hundred dollars, or possibly be required to attend driving school.

Per the Nevada DMV:

If you received a renewal notice, you may renew by Internet if your license has not yet expired. Your new license will be sent to the address on record, however, and the post office will not forward it. You may also renew by mail up to one year after expiration. A $10 late fee will apply if your license is expired more than 30 days. Licenses which have been expired 31 days to one year may be renewed by mail (if otherwise qualified) with an additional $10 late fee. Mail your renewal notice or use an Application for Nevada Driver License by Mail (DMV-204).

If you did not receive a renewal notice, please call or e-mail your name, Nevada driver license number and current address for instructions. You may be able to renew using an Application for Nevada Driver License by Mail (DMV-204) if you are otherwise qualified to renew by mail. This form is only for drivers who are currently licensed in Nevada and are unable to reach a DMV office. See also Driver License Renewal Options.

if you received a post card asking you to renew in person, you must do so. Exceptions are made only for active duty military members and certain federal contractors.

In the situation you posted about, why risk it so close to your citizenship interview? If you get pulled over after it expires and for whatever reason end up in county custody while your status is verified or whatever. While such a violation may not rise to the level of derailing your citizenship application, even if the chance is very very small, why risk it? Some stressed out Highway Patrol officer having a bad week pulls you over, treats you with less respect than you feel you deserve, he pushes you onto the hood, you mouth off to him, he charges you with resisting a lawful order or arrest, where does that leave you? Sure that case gets dismissed 9 months down the road, but maybe it delays or worse your citizenship, why risk it? Call me paranoid, but....

Disclaimer Information on this site is provided by Brian Scott Wayson as general information, not legal advice, and use of this information does not establish an attorney-client relationship. If you have questions about your specific situation, please call an attorney.

Drive safely and ALWAYS obey the law. But if you get caught driving without a license it will not impact your naturalization case. However, you should take your ticket in to an attorney experienced in traffic violations, Craig Kinney, for example, and have him take care of the ticket, usually if you can get the lawyer to buy you enough time to be able to produce a valid license, the courts in Nevada will just dismiss the ticket.