What are the consequences for an insured tourist visiting the US and not paying out-of-pocket expenses for medical bills.

Asked 5 months ago - Torrance, CA

I bought travelers insurance for my father prior to him landing in the US. After landing in the US, he had surgery in the Emergency Room. During the hospital stay I did sign some documents. I do not remember what I signed. Traveler’s insurance coverage is now maxed out. My Father recovered and will be leaving the US. Bills have started to come on his name on my address. Phone calls have come for him on my number. Questions I have: Am I responsible for his unpaid bills since he was visiting me and I paid for his insurance? The Doctors & hospital did help. If I pay his co-pay bills, am I implying that I am responsible for out of pocket expenses? If we do not pay - will he have trouble exiting/entering the US in the future? Shall I give his address? Which Law Specialty should I consult?

1. Dana Howard Shultz

1

Answered . Finding out what you signed is critical for determining the extent of your liability.

To start, you should use Avvo's Find a Lawyer function to identify a contracts lawyer in your area.

This information does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.
  2. Sol Peter Ajalat

1

Answered . What you should or should not do may be dependent on the what it was you signed, the amount of the billings for which your father and potentially yourself may be liable as well as any legal obligations you might have or which you contractually assumed related to your apparently dependent father. You should discuss these matters with an attorney experienced with health care and the applicable law including in particular the negotiating of medical billings with healthcare providers

3. Christopher Edward Ezold

Pro

1

Answered . I am an attorney licensed in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, and the States of Delaware and New Jersey. My practice includes employment, business and health care law. Before I respond to your inquiry, I must state that we have not spoken, I have not reviewed the relevant documents and facts, and I do not represent you. Therefore, my discussion below is not a legal opinion, but is informational only. Finally, my discussion applies only to issues to which Pennsylvania, Delaware, New Jersey or Federal law applies.

That being said, you are not liable for your father's bills except to the extent that you assumed liability and guaranteed payment to a provider or insurer. You would have to review the documents you signed to determine whether you did so. If not, the mere fact that you paid some does not make you liable to pay others. I do not believe he will have trouble entering the US due to unpaid medical bills, but an immigration attorney should answer that question. You appear to need a consumer protection attorney.
    /Christopher E. Ezold/