What are the consequences and procedure for voluntary departure?

Asked over 1 year ago - New York, NY

I am in removal proceedings. I came to USA legally but have been illegal for over a 1 year. I need to go back to my home country because of emergency. How do I go about requesting voluntary departure? Can I request this without a lawyer? and How long will it take to get it? What are the consequences of voluntary departure? I have no criminal record.

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

14

Answered . I agree with my colleagues.

Please click the link at the very bottom for additional information.

---------
    Carl Shusterman, Esq.
    Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
    Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
    Schedule a Legal Consultation - Telephonic, Skype or In-Person
    https://shusterman.com/intake-secure.html
    600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
    Los Angeles, CA 90017
    (213) 394-4554 x0
    Web: www.shusterman.com (English)
    www.inmigracion-abogado.com (Spanish)

2. Simone Rosemarie Coley

5

Answered . You will be barred for 10 years whether or not you take voluntary departure. Voluntary departure gives you the opportunity to get your business in order before returning home. At your next hearing date, ask for voluntary departure. Please consult and experienced immigration attorney before you make any life altering decisions.

Simone Coley, Bachand & Bachand; 855-422-2426. 189 State Street, Suite 100, Bridgeport, CT 06604.
  3. Stephen D. Berman

5

Answered . The procedures differ from different jurisdictions. Normally one requests Chief Counsel's office to agree to pre-hearing voluntary departure [they do not allow this in Chicago]. Otherwise, just ask the judge. You can get up to 4 months. If you leave as required, it will not be deemed a "removal". Any other bars to reentry will remain however, including the 3 and 10 year bars to admission for people who overstay their visas.

4. Alena Shautsova

Pro

3

Answered . The procedure and qualifications depend on the status of the proceedings. You may always ask DHS/ICE for it. If the court date is too far away you need to write a letter to the Court explaining your desire. However, VD has drastic consequences if you fail to depart.... I would not make this decision without consulting with an attorney.

5. Michael Hugh Carlin

4

Answered . You could ask the immigration judge for voluntary departure, but it would be a much better idea to do it with the assistance of an immigration attorney. Best of luck.