What are the concequences for getting arrested with one gram of cocaine? Do I need a lawyer?

Asked about 1 year ago - Vista, CA

I was pulled over in my friends car for speeding on the freeway, and there was a gram of coke in the back that I had no knowledge of. I was arrested and have a court date next week. What concequences should I be expecting?

1. Andrew Michael Limberg

Pro

2

Answered . The consequences can vary according to a number of different factors. Depending upon the circumstances of the case and your personal history, a good defense attorney should be able to obtain the best possible result. You should contact a local North County defense attorney and request a free inperson consultation as soon as possible to learn what can be done on your behalf to obtain that best result.

Law Office of Andrew Limberg, APLC 380 S. Melrose Dr., #329 Vista, CA 92081 (760) 806-4381
  2. David Philip Shapiro

Pro

2

Answered . You are likely facing felony charges for the possession of the cocaine. Hire the best, locally experienced, criminal defense attorney you can afford ASAP!

Law Offices of David Shapiro 3555 4th Avenue San Diego, CA 92103 (619) 295-3555
  3. Nicholas Milan Loncar

Pro

2

Answered . Depending on your criminal history, you may be eligible for PC 1000 Deferred Entry of Judgement, which will avoid the felony conviction. Having an attorney on your side is important in a case like this. Possession must be knowing, so that leaves a hole in the prosecution's case. It may be possible to get a dismissal, or perhaps a different charge (sometimes, it's beneficial to have the charge modified to HS 11377 (methanmphetamine, PCP, etc) because that can be charged as a misdemeanor, and you won't have a felony charge pending during PC 1000. Call around and talk to a few attorneys to get a better idea of how much the case will run you and what your best and worse case outcomes are.

Best,

Nicholas M. Loncar, Esq.
    t. 323.803.4352 | f. 323.617.3838
    www.iDefendLosAngeles.com
    Nicholas.Loncar@iDefendLosAngeles.com
    Sunset Law Building | 1295 W. Sunset Blvd
    Los Angeles, CA | 90026

4. Stephen Troy Allen

Pro

2

Answered . I would not plea to anything! Hire an attorney.. If the car was not registered to you, and you were just temporarily borrowing it, and did not admit to anything, you have some great defenses.. Without any kind of record you would likely be diversion (PC1000) eligible unless they charge "transportation" However, this being only one gram, it sounds like transportation for personal use.. Vista has some great DA's and you should be able to get a good result. Good luck, and talk to an attorney!

5. David Michael Boertje

Pro

2

Answered . If you had no knowledge of the cocaine and it was not your vehicle, it seems you have a very good defense. Possession of cocaine is a felony and you don't want to end up with a felony record over this. Speak to some local experienced criminal lawyers as many offer free consultations.

David M. Boertje, Esq.
    (760) 476-0901
    www.boertjelaw.com

*Please note that this is not legal advice and in no way formed an attorney-client relationship*