What are the charges and sentence for Identity theft in the first degree

Asked over 1 year ago - Burlington, WA

a 20 year old with no past of this and has no points against them

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Philip Edward Thornton

    Contributor Level 3


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If I understand your question correctly, the crime of Identity Theft in the First Degree requires the State to prove the following: A person commits the crime of identity theft in the first degree when, with intent to commit any crime, he or she knowingly obtains, possesses, uses, or transfers a means of identification or financial information of another person, living or dead, and obtains credit, money, goods, services or anything else in excess of $1500 in value. The crime of Identity Theft in the First Degree is a Class B felony wherein the maximum sentence is 10 years incarceration and up to a $20,000 fine. Washington State has a determinative sentencing grid based upon the seriousness level of the offense and a person's prior criminal history. The seriousness level of Identity Theft in the First Degree is a Level IV. For an offender who has no prior criminal history, the standard sentencing range is 3 to 9 months. There are a number of sentencing alternatives available to the sentencing court such as electronic home monitoring, community service, and work release. You should consult with a lawyer about the likelihood of conviction, lesser included offenses, and sentencing options available in your specific case. Every case is unique and has its own set of mitigating facts/circumstances. These can always be presented at the time of sentencing if there is a conviction.

  2. Fareesh S. Sarangi


    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The specific details of the Class B Felony are listed here. http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9..... Having said that, if the person has an otherwise unremarkable background, or in fact is doing something positive with their lives, and if the harmed individual has been reimbursed or you are in a position to reimburse them, there is likely a way to plead to something that would avoid a felony conviction and the challenges that come along with it. You may be able to get a misdemeanor if you are interested in pleading. Consult a local criminal defense attorney (many good ones on Avvo). Good luck

    * Please note that I am an Attorney practicing in Georgia, but I am not your attorney. This post is intended to... more
  3. Patrick Owen Earl


    Contributor Level 18

    Answered . The range of time that you are looking at is easy to figure out and explain however you need to focus on getting an attorney to help you through this process. Make sure your attorney has years of experience and knows what to do. Good Luck to you and make sure you interview a few attorneys and pick the right one for you.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,875 answers this week

3,100 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,875 answers this week

3,100 attorneys answering