What are the chances that my ex spouse's dismissed appeal will be reinstated?

Asked 9 months ago - Mesa, AZ

My divorce was finalized in Nov of 2012. My ex spouse filed a notice of appeal in July of 2013. The appeals court dismissed her appeal in October 2013, due to it being untimely. As the notice of appeal was filed past the 30 day time limit. My ex spouse filed a Motion for Reconsideration of the dismissed appeal. I received a letter from the appeals court requesting me to file a reply to the motion for reconsideration. What are the chances that the court of appeals division 1 would affirm the motion for reconsideration filed by my ex spouse? My thoughts are that the law is the law, if my ex spouse only has 30 days to file an appeal and has not been granted an extension then the courts should follow the law on the time limit. Any advice?

Attorney answers (5)

  1. Joshua Sachs

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I am not familiar with your court and my appellate practice has involved very little divorce work, but my thought is that if the court has asked you to respond it is taking the motion seriously and you will need a much better and more case-specific answer than what you have proposed. A showing of prejudice to you resulting from the additional delay would be ideal. A rant directed at your ex would be counterproductive and might increase the probability of his motion being granted. It would be worth turning to an attorney familiar with divorce practice on appeal in your state.

  2. Donna M Hougen


    Contributor Level 8


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . This is a very serious matter. You should speak to an attorney, or several attorneys, about this matter right away. Look for attorneys with appeals experience and advise you want this matter resolved. Make sure to seek attorney fees and costs in your pleadings.

    This is dealing with Arizona law only and does not constitute a attorney client relationship. There is no... more
  3. Rich J Peters


    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . If you've been asked to respond to the motion, then you must of course do so. Outside extraordinary circumstances, I would expect an appeal filed several months after a final order to be easily dismissed. But I would need to know so much more to provide a better assessment.

    A qualified and experienced family law attorney can of course assist you in getting where you need to be. Most of us offer free, 1/2 hour consultations, in which your matter can be discussed in detail. That would be a great opportunity to discuss any further procedural or substantive matters.

  4. Lee Alan Thompson

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Probably not good but if you want advice, if you are satisfied with the divorce outcome and don't want to take a chance of doing it again, my advice would be to get an attorney to file your response.

    Attorneys on Avvo donate their time and your feedback is appreciated. Be sure to mark the "Best Answer" or Helpful"... more
  5. Harry Edward Hudson Jr

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . In CA a defendant has 60 days after judgment to file. Why do I mention that? Because if the court is approached with the correct facts, it will permit the appeal. In short, Mr. Sach's recommendation is very astute. Suggest strongly that you obtain counsel. And not reply as you have suggested.

    The above is not intended as legal advice. The response does not constitute the creation of an attorney client... more

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.

Divorce Court

Divorce court is where the divorce process takes place. The court may determine matters like alimony, child custody, and property division.

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

  • 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now

Can't find what you're looking for?

Ask span5@2x

Ask a question on our public forum.

Ask a lawyer
Instant span6@2x

Have an attorney contact you privately.

Right now.

Icon lock@2x
Secure conversation. Your details remain between you and your attorney.
Icon clock@2x
Get an answer guaranteed. Be assured that a lawyer will contact you to help with your legal issue.
Start your session now