What are the chances pf my girlfriend getting an emancipation?

Tacoma, WA |
Filed under: Family law

to add more details her mom didn't want her until she was eight, and ever since then my girlfriends life has been a veritable hell. from a verbally abusive mother to a rather unclean and unsanitary living conditions. she turns 16 on the 22nd of july. and her mom doesn't work, and hasn't for a few years now. but my girlfriend does she babysits but her mom always takes the money she earns to pay rent or gamble it off. they are moving to eastern washington because her mom wants someplace cheaper to live, but my girlfriend needs an "alternative" school to succeed in education requirements. and i am currently unaware of any "alternative" schools in eastern washington like Oakland Alternative HighSchool in Tacoma. This isn't my case but she is too afraid to push for one. so i have to help

Emancipation is an uphill battle and there are many factors the court would consider before granting such a request. In the information you have provided and your GF's fear of even filing for emancipation I have to say your chances are none.

RCW 13.64.020 governs Emancipation of a Minor. In a petitio for emancipation your gf would need to show:

(e) a declaration by the petitioner indicating that he or she has the ability to manage his or her financial affairs, including any supporting information; AND (f) a declaration by the petitioner indicating that he or she has the ability to manage his or her personal, social, educational, and nonfinancial affairs, including any supporting information.

Babysitting money isn't going to cut it. Have her talk with her school counselor or some other government service that helps At Risk Teens. A good option might be to talk to a lawyer about filing a Petition for At-Risk Youth (ARY) and Child in Need of Services (CHINS).

Wish you both the best.

2. "What are the chances pf my girlfriend getting an emancipation?" Her chances of being emancipated based on the facts in the post is about the same as my chances of being a billionaire within the next five minutes or even a few lifetimes.

To be emancipated she needs to convince the court that she has the resources to live on her own without anyone's help. Babysitting usually is not a job that pays enough for a person to live on.

If she is being abused, she can call 911 to report the abuse. You can call too if you want to help.

Unfortunately for her, once 911 is called and CPS begins its investigation, she will not have a choice as to where to live.

If her father is around, perhaps she can ask her father for help.

Thuong-Tri Nguyen

3. Emancipation is an uphill battle and there are many factors the court would consider before granting such a request. In the information you have provided and your GF's fear of even filing for emancipation I have to say your chances are none.

Wish you both the best.

4. I have a couple of questions for you to consider, but do not answer them. First, how old are you? Have you had sexual contact with her or sexual intercourse? Again, do not answer. If you are more than 36 months older than her, steer clear as far away as you can. If you are and the answer to the sexual contact/intercourse questions are anything but an emphatic "No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" steer even further away. the reason is that you could find yourself being charged with a felony sex crime. In answer to your question, if she is getting abused by her mother, then the most you can really do is call CPS, instead of being the rescuer. I do not wish to downplay your concerns but you do need to understand that sometimes people will give a selective version of what their situation is. I would be very careful.