What are the chances of getting a second F1 visa after Overstaying the first one ?

Asked 7 months ago - Cleveland, OH

Due to a misunderstanding between me and my DSO I overstayed my visa with almost 6 moth and when I tried to apply for reinstatement I got denied because my overstay passed 5 months. Now I got a new admission from a new university and I was wondering If I apply for a second F1 visa what are the chances of getting it and If I got it will be able to enter the US with no problems at the port of entry?
I left voluntarily and didn't do anything illegal during my stay in the states.

My last day at school was MAY 5th 2013 and I left the country on October 31st 2013

1. Robert Louis Brown

Pro

3

Answered . If you have more than 180 days of unlawful presence you need a waiver has you will be subject to a three or 10 year bar. If you do not need a waiver your eligibility will be determined based on your submissions and the discretion of the consular officer.

2. Juan Paolo Pasia Sarmiento

1

Answered . Possible. You don’t have a bar though. But it’s still discretionary.

JP Sarmiento
    Free Consultations (email /phone/in-person)
    (216) 573-3712
    jp@sarmientoimmigration.com
    www.sarmientoimmigration.com

3. F. J. Capriotti III

2

Answered . Depending on the language of the reinstatement denial letter, you may not have unlawful presence.

BUT, you could have difficulty convincing the US Consul to give you a visa.

Does the DSO support you? If so, a letter from him/her will be of great value ... as will consulting with an attorney.

4. Christopher Edmund Ward

Pro

1

Answered . It doesn't seem you broke the 180 day unlawful presence invoking a 3 year bar on admissibility. With that said, overstaying is a serious violation leading to a denial. You can bolster your case by getting a letter from the previous DSO explaining their mistake or the reasonableness of the miscommunication. You should consult an immigration attorney to help guide you through the process.

5. Lalita Haran

1

Answered . You can get a visa provided you convince the consulate and that depends upon your explanation for overstay. Your reinstatement application and denial would be considered too. If the old DSO could explain some of it, it would do you good.