What are the chances of getting a second F1 visa after Overstaying the first one ?

Asked 7 months ago - Cleveland, OH

Due to a misunderstanding between me and my DSO I overstayed my visa with almost 6 moth and when I tried to apply for reinstatement I got denied because my overstay passed 5 months. Now I got a new admission from a new university and I was wondering If I apply for a second F1 visa what are the chances of getting it and If I got it will be able to enter the US with no problems at the port of entry?
I left voluntarily and didn't do anything illegal during my stay in the states.

Additional information

My last day at school was MAY 5th 2013 and I left the country on October 31st 2013

Attorney answers (5)

  1. Robert Louis Brown


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If you have more than 180 days of unlawful presence you need a waiver has you will be subject to a three or 10 year bar. If you do not need a waiver your eligibility will be determined based on your submissions and the discretion of the consular officer.

  2. Juan Paolo Pasia Sarmiento

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Possible. You don’t have a bar though. But it’s still discretionary.

    JP Sarmiento
    Free Consultations (email /phone/in-person)
    (216) 573-3712

  3. F. J. Capriotti III

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Depending on the language of the reinstatement denial letter, you may not have unlawful presence.

    BUT, you could have difficulty convincing the US Consul to give you a visa.

    Does the DSO support you? If so, a letter from him/her will be of great value ... as will consulting with an attorney.

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It... more
  4. Christopher Edmund Ward


    Contributor Level 10


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . It doesn't seem you broke the 180 day unlawful presence invoking a 3 year bar on admissibility. With that said, overstaying is a serious violation leading to a denial. You can bolster your case by getting a letter from the previous DSO explaining their mistake or the reasonableness of the miscommunication. You should consult an immigration attorney to help guide you through the process.

  5. Lalita Haran

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You can get a visa provided you convince the consulate and that depends upon your explanation for overstay. Your reinstatement application and denial would be considered too. If the old DSO could explain some of it, it would do you good.

    My answers are for general information only, NOT A legal advice because these are not tailored to your specific... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,038 answers this week

3,078 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,038 answers this week

3,078 attorneys answering