What are the chances of getting 36 months of back child support, and how can you go about getting supervised visitations?

Asked 9 months ago - Tupelo, MS

My son is 3 and hasn't gotten any child support from his father. He hasn't seen him in over a year. He is now wanting to jump in and get custody and visits but isn't interested in his medical problems. He doesn't want to pay the court ordered $500 a month and is quitting his job because of it. He also doesn't want to pay because he doesn't see him.

1. Tchanavia Bryant

1

Answered . If the court is ordering him to pay child support and he is not paying, he is in contempt of court. You can file a contempt action against him to try and get the back owed child support. Depending on how much he owes and what his income is, you may have a decent chance at recovering the back owed child support.

If there is no custody order in place, I would suggest get one put in place. The courts determine custody based on what is in the best interest of the child. If there is a child custody order already in place, it will have to be modified to change custody. A modification requires a material change in circumstances in the custodial parent's home that adversely effects the welfare of the child.

Courts generally allow the non-custodial parent to have liberal visitation. If you want supervised visitation, you will need to provide the court with some type of reasoning as to why you want it. Just because the father has not seen the child lately or paid child support does not mean that that will be sufficient reason to require supervised visitation.

I would talk to a family law attorney to help you with this issue.

2. Derek L. Hall

Pro

1

Answered . You can absolutely get the court to enforce its orders through a contempt citation. Consult with an attorney as soon as possible. The law in the state of Mississippi is that all fathers are required to support their children. He doesn't appear to be doing so. File now.

3. Anders Ferrington

1

Answered . If he is under a court order for child support and is not paying then he is in contempt and can be held as such by a judge

4. Walter Alan Davis

Answered . I agree with the answers given thus far - you can go to the Judge to ask that the father be held in contempt. Quitting his job to get out of paying child support won't go far with the Judge if that's the reason he's not working.