What are the chances of approval for extended B2 visa to change into F1 and the primary intent of my B2 visa is medical purposes

Asked over 1 year ago - Milford, CT

i came to US in B2 visa for medical reasons. Sept2012 on single entry. my i94 expires on march 2013. i filed B2 visa extension, still waiting for the result. and now im planning to apply for F1 COS...

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

14

Answered . If your studies will be in an academic field at a major university, your chances will improve.

2. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

5

Answered . Go ahead and apply. Hopefully yours will be for academic studies and not for some sort of "English language" courses..

3. Dana Roxana Bucin

Answered . Hope you applied for the extension before the March 2013 expiration of your B-2. I highly recommend consulting with an attorney because there is a bothersome issue with regards to changing status to F-1 - namely the F-1 status is only issued 30 days before classes start, so some folks get rejected for the change of status because their B-2 expired more than 30 days before the classes started so you have a gap between B-2 expiration and F-1 start, which prevents an approval. I very strongly recommend you consult a lawyer sooner rather than later.

4. J Charles Ferrari

1

Answered . Depends on the facts of the case and how the USCIS officer sees them.