What are the chances of approval for extended B2 visa to change into F1 and the primary intent of my B2 visa is medical purposes

Milford, CT |

i came to US in B2 visa for medical reasons. Sept2012 on single entry. my i94 expires on march 2013. i filed B2 visa extension, still waiting for the result. and now im planning to apply for F1 COS...

Go ahead and apply. Hopefully yours will be for academic studies and not for some sort of "English language" courses..

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

If your studies will be in an academic field at a major university, your chances will improve.

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Depends on the facts of the case and how the USCIS officer sees them.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Hope you applied for the extension before the March 2013 expiration of your B-2. I highly recommend consulting with an attorney because there is a bothersome issue with regards to changing status to F-1 - namely the F-1 status is only issued 30 days before classes start, so some folks get rejected for the change of status because their B-2 expired more than 30 days before the classes started so you have a gap between B-2 expiration and F-1 start, which prevents an approval. I very strongly recommend you consult a lawyer sooner rather than later.

This answer is provided for general education purposes only and is not intended to provide, nor does it provide, any legal advice.   By viewing this answer you understand and expressly agree that there is no attorney-client relationship between you and the attorney who authored the answer.  Should you need legal advice, please contact a licensed attorney who practices in this area.  Readers of this answer and the information contained herein should not act upon any information contained in this answer without seeking legal counsel.

Education law topics

Recommended articles about Education law