What are the chances of approval for extended B2 visa to change into F1 and the primary intent of my B2 visa is medical purposes

Asked over 1 year ago - Milford, CT

i came to US in B2 visa for medical reasons. Sept2012 on single entry. my i94 expires on march 2013. i filed B2 visa extension, still waiting for the result. and now im planning to apply for F1 COS...

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Carl Michael Shusterman


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If your studies will be in an academic field at a major university, your chances will improve.

    (213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration... more
  2. Giacomo Jacques Behar


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Go ahead and apply. Hopefully yours will be for academic studies and not for some sort of "English language" courses..

    Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be... more
  3. Dana Roxana Bucin

    Contributor Level 15

    Answered . Hope you applied for the extension before the March 2013 expiration of your B-2. I highly recommend consulting with an attorney because there is a bothersome issue with regards to changing status to F-1 - namely the F-1 status is only issued 30 days before classes start, so some folks get rejected for the change of status because their B-2 expired more than 30 days before the classes started so you have a gap between B-2 expiration and F-1 start, which prevents an approval. I very strongly recommend you consult a lawyer sooner rather than later.

    This answer is provided for general education purposes only and is not intended to provide, nor does it provide,... more
  4. J Charles Ferrari

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Depends on the facts of the case and how the USCIS officer sees them.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not... more

Related Topics

F1 student visa

The F-1 is the most common visa for students and exchange visitors attending academic institutions in the United States.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,659 answers this week

2,860 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,659 answers this week

2,860 attorneys answering