Skip to main content

What are the chances of a class 3 felony being lowered?

Carbondale, IL |

I was charged with disorderly conduct and threatening a public official. The incident stemmed from a visit to the hospital after my girlfriend fell and hit her head after leaving a local bar. There was a disagreement between a male nurse and i about how my girlfriend was being treated. The nurse claimed that there was nothing wrong with her although today she visited a local doctor and was found to have a very severe concussion. The hospital called the police and i was arrested. I felt very angry, scared for my girlfriend, and worried about the situation i was in. According to the police i "Threatened" them, and now i am charged with a class 3 felony. Bond was set at $7500 and 750 got me out the next day. Any advice? I of course have sought legal representation. Court is on Feb 28

Attorney Answers 3


If you have no record you stand a good chance (from this description of events) at getting something that will reduce to a lesser charge.

Expect to pay fines, be on probation for 1-3 years and do classes like anger management, counseling, etc.

Clark County, NV practitioner.

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree


There is no confidentiality online. You are presumed innocent until proven guilty beyond reasonable doubt. If you cannot find an experienced local criminal litigator on Avvo, a good place to look is the website for the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers ( Speak to several attorneys and hire the one that makes you feel confident and comfortable. NACDL local members:

Educational purposes answer. | | | | | Non-privileged answer.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree

1 comment

Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

Alexander M. Ivakhnenko


Great note.


I agree with my colleagues that it is imprudent to discuss such a sensitive personal criminal matter in any public forum in detail.
Now, you want achieve the best outcome avoiding prison and getting a lenient sentencing altogether, it seems. I think the court will view a potential reduction in charges when your counsel and you will prepare a convincing package in mediation with character letters, proofs of your engagement in the community, awards, commendation letters, Affidavits by the people with direct knowledge of the positives in your persona etc.
These matters are very delicate, your counsel must assess the best course of action, discuss the mediation with the assigned State Attorneys to facilitate your objective.
Finally, while offering a sheer speculation regarding the given felony reduction outcome will be unprofessional, a concise legal plan to proceed for that purpose as set forth above is a logical and sound in its nature.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional information, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and materials provided above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual and legal circumstances related to one’s personal legal issues. Contact an experienced criminal defense lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a competent legal advice before making any important decisions about your particular legal issue. For further inquiries please contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree

Violent crime topics

Recommended articles about Violent crime

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics