What are the chances of a class 3 felony being lowered?

Asked over 1 year ago - Carbondale, IL

I was charged with disorderly conduct and threatening a public official. The incident stemmed from a visit to the hospital after my girlfriend fell and hit her head after leaving a local bar. There was a disagreement between a male nurse and i about how my girlfriend was being treated. The nurse claimed that there was nothing wrong with her although today she visited a local doctor and was found to have a very severe concussion. The hospital called the police and i was arrested. I felt very angry, scared for my girlfriend, and worried about the situation i was in. According to the police i "Threatened" them, and now i am charged with a class 3 felony. Bond was set at $7500 and 750 got me out the next day. Any advice? I of course have sought legal representation. Court is on Feb 28

1. Ryan Alexander

Pro

4

Answered . If you have no record you stand a good chance (from this description of events) at getting something that will reduce to a lesser charge.

Expect to pay fines, be on probation for 1-3 years and do classes like anger management, counseling, etc.

Clark County, NV practitioner.
  2. Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

2

Answered . I agree with my colleagues that it is imprudent to discuss such a sensitive personal criminal matter in any public forum in detail.
    Now, you want achieve the best outcome avoiding prison and getting a lenient sentencing altogether, it seems. I think the court will view a potential reduction in charges when your counsel and you will prepare a convincing package in mediation with character letters, proofs of your engagement in the community, awards, commendation letters, Affidavits by the people with direct knowledge of the positives in your persona etc.
    These matters are very delicate, your counsel must assess the best course of action, discuss the mediation with the assigned State Attorneys to facilitate your objective.
    Finally, while offering a sheer speculation regarding the given felony reduction outcome will be unprofessional, a concise legal plan to proceed for that purpose as set forth above is a logical and sound in its nature.

3. James Regan

Pro

3

Answered . There is no confidentiality online. You are presumed innocent until proven guilty beyond reasonable doubt. If you cannot find an experienced local criminal litigator on Avvo, a good place to look is the website for the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (NACDL.org) Speak to several attorneys and hire the one that makes you feel confident and comfortable. NACDL local members: http://tinyurl.com/8ru8wtv

Educational purposes answer. | FACDL.org | NACDL.org | Defendme.net | twitter.com/JReganLLM | Non-privileged answer.