What are the chances my personal belongings/property would be seized to satisfy a judgement to a collection agency/attorney?

Boston, MA |

I live in Massachusetts. I owe about $1,400 judgement. What I own that is of value: 1 Computer & Monitor (is stated exempt in the sec 34 laws), an old crt tv (also stated exempt in sec 34 laws), a gaming console, and besides that, things like dvds, books, toys & trinkets, clothing, bed, furniture. Would they try and come after this if i have no income/no job and no other real property? How does the process go for "writ of execution" and "supplemental proceeding"? thanks for your help. i'm trying to be as specific as possible.

Practically, that is extraordinarily unlikely. The value of those items is less than the cost of seizure and auction. No judge will make you sell your clothing to pay a judgment, unless you recently stocked your closet with Prada wear.

Do you want accurate, personalized, legal advice that you can rely on? You will have to hire an attorney, not ask on Avvo. I am not your attorney and am not creating an attorney-client relationship by this post. I am therefore giving only general advice. This advice may not apply to you or your situation; may not take account of all possibilities, and may not match the advice I would give to a client. DO NOT rely on this advice or any other advice on Avvo to make your legal decisions. If you want an answer to a legal question you should retain an attorney who is licensed in your state.

This seems to be a duplicate question, but now that I know the amount of the judgment, I would say it's easier for them to sit back and wait because they have a long time available to collect a judgment. More likely they will wait to find a bank account to attach or wages to garnish.

Possible but unlikely. You may also be able to exempt, or keep, such personal property.

Supplementary Proceedings are a post-judgment collection action where you are summonsed to appear in court to answer questions under oath about the nature, location and value of your assets.

Sued for debt topics